Monday, June 27, 2011

Garden 3 - Beating the Bunnies

This is not as it sounds. Although I let Duke, my great defender, out one morning as I saw a bunny eating my snow peas for breakfast, he was so busy checking out behind the shed where the chipmunks reside, the bunny was alerted of the danger and darted away, leaving Duke none the wiser (and me very frustrated). Please don't get me wrong. I didn't really want him to hurt the bunny, just scare it really good, so it wouldn't come back!

Maybe I should back up here and explain.

I thought my garden must be very dry, with lack of rain, as my snow peas didn't seem to be growing. My mom said she had snow peas already. My lettuce seemed to be having a hard time getting off the ground as well. Quit literally. I planted beans, and was happy to see them growing well. But then one morning, they weren't growing. What? I stood there looking at this stubby stem with no leaves on it. Well, where did it go? My mind began to think. I walked over and got close down to the my snow peas. AH! They have been chewed on! They were growing, or trying. It took about 1/2 a mil a-second to realize it was bunnies, and another 1/2 to wage war with those bunnies. How dare they eat my garden!

So, my mom generously donated some chicken wire, and I spent a day and evening out there erecting my fence. I used tent pegs around the bottom to secure it to the ground so those bunnies wouldn't think of going under. The night I was out there, swatting mosquitoes all hunched over banging the tent pegs in the ground with a hammer, Duke was out with me, running all along the perimeter of the yard fence, sniffing, and sniffing. He could smell them!


tent pegs from the $ store!
I am happy happy to report, that combined with the fence, my fancy solar garden lights, and Duke spending lots and lots of time outside, there garden has remained bunny-less. And with that great news is the greater news, that my garden grows!!


remember that tiny rhubarb plant?
 And not only does it grow, tonight staking my tomato's I saw babies. Tomatoes that is. Flowers on the potatoes and snow peas, and carrots and lettuce, really growing!!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
 
So take that bunnies! 

No comments: