Friday, July 22, 2011

Cheerios on the Wall

Its been that kind of week. It is HOT. Temperatures in the high 30s and with a humidex of 40+. Angelina hurt her eye and we were off to the eye doctor, and I babysat for 3 days. Goran is on afternoons, and acquired the stomach bug we all had. Well, for the heat, we finally gave in and turned the AC on. It low, but provides a bit a relief. Angelina's eye is healing and eye doctor wasn't worried. But he did an eye exam and she is one step away from glasses. He suggested bringing her back in a year to check again.  Last night we were talking about her eye and I was explaining when I go glasses, she asked "Why did you need glasses? How did you hurt your eye?" She thought she needs glasses soon because she hurt her eye. Quickly, everyone at the table reassured her it was nothing she did, it was just the way her eyes were. And Goran, took some Gravel and slept for the most part of 24 hours, got up the next day and was feeling so so so much better!

The heat. Its hot. We only just the AC on Wednesday night, but Sunday was hot, hot and every day has just got hotter. There was a pattern through the day, and not much got done from 10:00am-7:00pm, because it was so hot. The kids swam, I went in with them, we all napped, got up groggy and sweaty, hung around a bit, and as the evening came in we would all perk up and energy would come in again. 

But last night a very dear friend came, with her children. She brought veggie chillie loaded with corn and peppers, and black beans with wraps and cheese on the side. I didn't have to cook, and there was something for everyone. It was so so good! (She left me the left overs :) I finished the meal with watermelon and ice cream and we headed outside, pool side! My friends children, twins (a boy and girl) are between Angelina and Grace in age. We have been friends for as long as the children remember, and they all play well. Her children talk about Bryna when he was 'Baby Bryan'! Anyways, we headed out, and the children played, and swam, and jumped and laughed and us momma's talked. That is what we do. C is one of those friends its comfortable with. She's got 10 years on me, but choosing to have kids later in life has put us in the same place in life as me. She is sweet and kind, and a friend I truly treasure. We have both had hardships in our lives, but come through whole and in once piece, being stronger then before. We can sit and talk about things for hours, or we can sit and quietly, both lost in our own thoughts. Once we sat side by side on the couch, staring unseeingly at the TV, kids playing all around us, while we worried about Abby in the hospital with pneumonia. We chat over dishes, she was there when our last baby entered the world and came countless time with meals for my family while I recovered from birth.

So we sat and watched the littles in the pool. We sat lost in thought, we sat and chatted,  I showed her how to backwash and 'shock' the pool and we discussed technical camera terms and took pictures. We sat in comfort in being together, equals on the this journey of motherhood, enjoying what we had to give to each other. A perfect way to spend an evening.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Angelina with friend - goggles and all
 
on her climber - she climbs for hours every day!!
'fixing' his lawn mower. he is such a boy
 

my garden

My heart is heavy when it comes to my garden. All the best laid plans, the rototiller,  planting, watering, weeding, composting.....
1st it was the tomatoes looking 'thirsty'. Wilting and dry. Water didn't help. The plants hung heavy with green tomatoes ready to ripen, but one by one they died. My squash have flowered, and 3 baby butternut squash wait, ready to grow full and ripen and the plants has begun to do the same. The potatoes, and today I notice the spinach as well. I have read it is all because of the walnut tree. Juglone is in the roots, leaves and shells from the tree, depositing it in the ground, slowly killing my intolerant plants.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
I have a sickening feeling in my gut ever time I think of the winter, buying frozen veggies from the freezer department in grocery store. All the time and effort, and money, gone. I suppose I gained experience and I learned from all of this. Next year will be better. But this is not what I wanted for my family for the winter and it makes me sad for so many reasons.

the cheerios

So yesterday I ended up cleaning up Klaras cheerios off the high chair, off of her, and off of the floor. I didn't know I had missed a spot.
those 2 tiny dots where the wall meets the ceiling?
took the paint off, they did

It seems when she sent the bowl flying some went flying to the opposite wall going down the stair. When I came home and saw them I thought they were wall plugs, but didn't remember ever seeming them before. Upon closer investigation I realized, and it make me smile.

Whats made you smile this week?

It has taken me all day to blog this post. As the best usually take me all day, between children and babies, and hubby, and meals, and laundry, and dips in the pool. Its about downloading pictures, and trying to find all the right wordS. But by the time the kids go to bed, I proof read, slip my pictures in, and adding the 'captioning'.

I always smile when I click "PUBLISH POST". 

1 comment:

Cathy S. said...

The heat this week has been almost unbearable K, I'm suffering for sure! How nice for you to have a visit from your good friend, and she brought dinner! :) You ask what made me smile this week... a few things: 1) the neighbours St.Bernard runnng sheepishly home after being caught in our wading pool 2) shopping with my 13yr old son who had done his research and wasn't going to let the tradein store short him on his video games 3) each time the baby was brought back to the kitchen (Mom! he's buggin' us!) LOL. I look forward to seeing you and your littles soon! :)