Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Leaving the Nest but Sticking Around

Before I begin I want to apologize for some of the poor quality photos....that flash is so blaring.....but u will see the sun can be too!!

We noticed this momma I think before she had eggs. She made a sloppy nest in a tree along the  path beside the garage. She flew into the window a few times as we walked by and spooked her by accident. It became apparent quickly that she had something in there....






The kids remembered every morning, and we would go to take a look. I lifted each one up to take a peak, and Miss Morning (as the kids named her) was great. She never left because of us, and took good care of the wee ones she had.


She got to the point she couldn't sit on them anymore. Here these is 2, but I was so sure she had 3 at one time....I kept warning the kids that one day she would be gone, and the babies too. And one day they were gone.

A few days later, the kids called me over to the ceder trees, saying they had found Miss Morning and the babies. I was doubtful, but came to take a look. These tow were waiting for her to come back from somewhere, and fly up higher in the tree to get away from us.


We had a one point seen 3 babies and her, but she scooted out before the camera got to my hands. So the last one is her 3 babies, lined up on the branch.



As the days have gone by they have gotten further up  the trees to the point we couldn't see them anymore. And from there we have only seen them coming and going from the trees, and hear them calling the low long morning dove cry.

So so glad I am years away from my babies leaving the nest :)

No comments: