Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Weekend Highlight

Family reunions where a big part of my childhood. I remember, every civiv holiday Monday getting up excited, the cooler being packed with burgers, cans of coke, hot dogs, and all the fixings.I remember loading into the car and off we'd go. A certain comfort in knowing, from all of the country side, others were getting into their cars to meet us at that pavilion at the same park we hard gathered since before I was born.

Since cousins got married and the family has grown, the picnics have become scattered over the years and there have been less and less and less. Since it was something I always looked forward too, I've missed it. I miss seeing the cousins, small ones running to and fro, old ones sitting with their coffees talking in Dutch, the stilts, the smell of the grill in the open air, and that feeling I would get every year. That feeling that my family was really huge! And that with all that family came amazing help and support, that was always there should I need it.

So when the notice came for this years picnic I didn't really hesitate. I luv the idea of my wee ones experiencing the things I did as child. So the cooler was packed with burgers and water (things have changed) and although I had to convince Goran to go, by 8:30 a.m. we were all in the van, on our way.









Add caption

No comments: