Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Jam

It started strawberry picking with a friend and 7 kids this morning. Continued with a strawberry snack with whipped cream. 

A break in the day. 

The sun is sinking and I return to see the trays of berries on my counter. A flashback of hauling strawberries with my sister and my mom pop into my mind. It makes me smile. 

Samuel is still up. Munching on berries as I haul. He talks with his limited vocabulary  of grunts and gesters. 

The berries turn and roll as they boil. A vision of skimming the foam and eating it on fresh toast that same day with sisters and my mom return to my mind. 

I add cups and cups of sweet sugar and stir and stir. The steam pillows. 

Cool. Stir. Mix. Cool. Stir. Mix. 

Small boy hanging on my legs. 

Scoop, pour, lid. Scoop pour, lid.

10 jars of sweet sticky jam. Come a very cold February morning this will remind  me of this day. It will remind all of us that warm days are coming. 

But, right now I'm waiting for the sound of  popping lids so I know they sealed! 






No comments: