Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Caleb and Leela

Let me introduce you to Leela.








Leela is any, poor, unfortunate toad/frog that happens along the same path as Caleb. I think it was Klara and him that named the 1st one, and since then, any one that he has captured since then has been dubbed Leela ("Its the same one Mom!") He carriers them in his hands, or in a bucket. One might be so lucky to get a swim in the baby pool, or a trip in a bucket to the bus stop and back. When he had he first one months ago we came up with a few rules. (I didn't want to find toads in the house, or dead in the garage, or dried up in window wells)


Leela Rules
  1. Be GENTLE. No squeezing, squashing, pinching, hurting, eating etc Leela
  2. No Leela in the house
  3. If you come inside, we let Leela free
  4. Leela does not go in the big pool
  5. No putting Leela in buckets while you go inside.  
We discussed it in great detail. He explained it back to me. I was confident he had a good understanding that Leela is a live creature, and we need to be kind and gentle.

So I proceed to my motherly daily chores.

Some time later Caleb joins me in the house, no Leela.

"Where's Leela?' I asked him.
"Safe outside," he responded matter a factly.
"Is she in a bucket?"
"No."
"In the big pool?"
"No."
 "Did you hurt her? Is she still alive?" I was feeling a bit alarmed.
"No, Mom! Leela is safe," he insisted.
"Can you show Mommy?"
He smiled and gave me a sideways glance.
"OK Mom, but hes is safe," he insisted as he opened the front door and proceeded to the yard to show me.

He leads almost to the back, where there is a upside down bucket, and Leela is UNDER the bucket not IN the bucket. He had the biggest grin on his fave ever!

And my son showed me how very clever he is!

No comments: