Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Why I Do It

I have 3 kids and do home day care. Sometimes people me ask me why. Sometimes I wonder why. One reason is so I'm home with my kids. Another so I'm not paying daycare for 3 kids. Well today was another reason why.

I had a bad night. Goran was late, baby came to bed cranky, and then peed all over me! So the remainder of the night I was wet and cold. I finally dragged my tired peed on body out of bed at 6:30, figuring I wasn't sleeping anyway. I disturbed the baby, so he got up too. I headed to the bathroom for a shower and heard 2 more sets of footsteps behind me. Now I had a crying baby, and 2 preschoolers that I'm sure were not ready to be awake.

The morning passed uneventful, thank goodness. Daycare friends all wondered in the door, one after the other, until the house was full. We did the usual morning things.

We were eating lunch...or I should say, they were eating lunch, and I was running around, refilling soup bowls, passing out egg salad sandwiches, and making sure everyone had milk. Then we heard the sound of a truck on the street. It made all of us stop and listen. It was going much slower then normal, and was quit loud.

I went and peered out the window to see and called out to them, "Its just the street cleaner!" Wrong choose of words.

"Can I see Kathryn? Can I get up and see?!" One little boy shouted out to me. He was climbing off his stool as he spoke.

"Yes, yes, you can all go and see," I replied to the little eager faces that were still sitting and waiting to hear what I had to say.

"Truck, truck!" Bryan was shouting as he was clamoring out of his
high chair.

7 eager little faces, and 14 little hands were pressed against my front window, and door, as the street cleaner went by. They all watched quietly as it 'cleaned' our road. One by one they slowly turned away and headed back to the table.

As I was busy cleaning up and filling the sink, two little 3 year olds still stood, watching the street cleaner round the bend.

"Come on girls," I urged. "Lets go finish lunch."

"Bye bye vacuum cleaner," said one of them as she waved and turned away.

"Yeah, bye bye vacuum cleaner," called the other waving. "See you soon."

That's why I do it. For those moments, when the simplest of things make me smile. I am helping to mold them and become the people they will be. And I can say, everyone of them are great 'little' people already now.

1 comment:

Summer said...

That is a great article.