Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Family

Oh, I have been thinking and planning this post for over a week. Actually I have meant to post long before today, a quick post or setting aside a chunk of time to make a good one, but someone always seems to have other plans. I began one Sunday night, but it didn't pan out either. I live in a house with 5 other people. Sometimes its hard to get our schedules to match up :)

So here I go, making up for a week of silence.

Sunday we celebrated as a family. We celebrated my parents birthdays and wedding anniversary. What did we do? Mom and Dad rented the pool in Woodstock, and we went swimming, and we went back to their house for a potluck! Everyone brought something to contribute, and as usual, there was too much food, enough for seconds of desserts and lots of love. Laughter, and encouragement, deep discussions, and a few heated moments as expected with a family of 20(?). My dad jumped of the diving board for the 1st time in his life, and the small grandchildren jumped from the side laughing and calling to each other to hurry. Back at home, sisters and moms smiled and laughed, and touched each others elbows and shoulders in reassurance and encouragement during discussions. Children played hide and seek, and laughter rang out when they found each other. The men spoke in loud voices and slipped into boots as they left the house after supper, joining us 1/2 hour later to help clean up and round up sleepy children and, Oh, they smelling of sweet cigars those men!  At the end of the evening there were goodbyes, and hugs and we called to each other through the night as we loaded up kids and empty crock pots in our vans and cars. Children running to give each other one last hug, and cries of "I don't want to go home" echoed around.

I reflected as we drove home. Family, time together, bonding, and children playing. It doesn't seem to matter how much time goes between visits, when we are together, it slips back to a comfort we know. I appreciate each and everyone of them so much. They are amazing and wonderful people. Growing and learning, making the most of what life has given them.

Among all my thoughts on this is another passing in my extended family. Its is extended for me, but much closer for my dad. His brother Jack passed away on Wednesday November 23rd. He was diagnosed with cancer in late spring, and at that point they had hoped for treatment. But after a fall that broke his pelvis, and another one breaking his hip, his health dwindled quickly. In the last few weeks of his life he had family visiting, and the pastor was called on and visited frequently. Dad spoke of visiting him about 2 weeks before his death. They reminisced of a childhood together, and other memories they shared together. My dad said Uncle Jack didn't miss a thing!  I believe Uncle Jack was filled with peace and love, and accepted that he was going home to Christ. I imagine a reunion in my mind. Uncle Andy and Uncle Jack, restored to perfect health, hugging and laughing and praising God.



This gets me thinking of my mom and dad. Oh how I love them and appreciate them. The knowledge they have to pass on, the joy and laughter they bring to our lives, the luv and admiration my children have for their Nana and Paka, and just the simple comfort I have in knowing they are only a phone call away. Every minute that they are here with us is a gift. A gift that I refuse to deny or ignore. We share our luv with words, and hugs, and small gifts, and time spent together. Tuesday morning coffees, piano lessons, messages over facebook, or text over the phone. Its dinners of take-out or home cooked meals. Memories of children climbing up on Pakas knee, Nana praising a job well done, and raising wine glasses up to good health and Gods blessings.

I have a multitude of pictures from the last week to put up. Pics of baby walking and figuring out potty skills. Dinners around the table, celebrations with family, children baking with new aprons, and a Jesus show Kristyn and I took the children too. I promise to blog these photos over the next 4 days, a post a day to catch! Stay tuned!

No comments: