Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween 2011

The energy was contagious. They were so excited!! We don't make a big deal about Halloween. Costumes tend to be something around the house that we have, or something we can use again. And they have been great about it. It was about a month ago the discussions and talks began. Skeletons, a ballerina's, a pumpkin, and one who couldn't make up his mind. He had started with skeleton, then Harry Potter, but then a fire fighter, but this morning again changed his mind again. I have to say I like what he changed his mind to.

The day began with a Halloween party at a friends, and lots of kids to play. Treats, and costumes, smiles, laughter and pictures.





nursing a sweet pumpkin




The day continued on with pumpkin carving, and the excitement grew. Bryan was a wee bit confused asking questions like "Do we do trick or treating today?"and saying "Its getting dark!" at 5:00pm.


When it was finally time, the girls were ready and waiting to begin with the neighbors house, but Bryan was standing quit confused. "What do we do?"

I explained that he would knock on the door and say, "Trick or Treat," to Tony.

"Then what?" he asked.

The girls laughed and giggled at the door. "Come on Bryan!" Urging him on. "Then he will give us candy!"


He got a bit of a lopsided smile and agreed, and trucked out the door to get started, while I got the baby ready. Seconds later I saw running back up the side walk and threw open the door the girls happily laughing right behind him.


"He gave me candy!"



It took no urging at all to get him to the next house, or the next one...or the last one :)


I followed behind, pushing the stroller, and walking the dog. I waved and called "Happy Halloween" and chatted with the neighbors I know. I was  a bit nostalgic, as I followed and watched, the smell of the fallen leaves strong as they crunched first under the weight of the stroller and then under my feet.


I watch now.  The big ones teach the little ones. I can remember so clearly taking Angelina by the hand and saying happy Halloween so she would mimic me. I remember her little face looking into the bag at the first door, and turning up to me, with such wonder and excitement. 

This was different, but I enjoyed it immensely. It was lovely, and relaxed, and their excited laughter made me smile and laugh.

I slip my pics from the night into the blog. They reflect, and will remind me, but its like a video in my mind. And I will play over and over, and smile each time.


I am so blessed!

No comments: