Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Ponchos

On Sunday cousins came over for a craft afternoon :)

We've been discussing how to get these 3 girls to get along...it weighs heavy on my mind as I don't want these feels of frustration, sadness and alienation to overshadow the visits that Kristyn and I so very much look forward to and thrive on!

I had a thought that maybe keeping all 3 busy 'together' was one way to do it. We have left crafts out for them, given them instructions, and given them a whole bunch of open ended craft stuff. That doesn't seem to end positively. I continued to think and watch, watch how they mimic everything I do...

It hit me like a bolt of lightening,

They need the example.

The example of working together, talking things out, listening to one another, taking turns, and helping, Kristyn and I do so much of that already, but it doesn't hurt to be more proactive. So we discussed the afternoon, I put together poncho kits for the girls to sew and cut for their Maplelea dolls and Kristyn put together the 'ocean in a bottle' for the boys.

The most part it went well. It was a it crazy at one point when everyone needed something....a needle threaded, next step mom?, I don't know how to do this!...and supper needed cooking, but it was just a better example to them of talking, waiting, listening and following direction.




I know there is lots more of this before the problem is solved. Sharing, helping, example settling, ect, but it felt like such a good step in the right direction, and the girls were so very happy with their final product!

No comments: